Below is a list of major sections on the Gold Coast City Council Website plus other external links about the Gold Coast City Council:
Gold Coast City Council Website Links Gold Coast City Council – Home Page Gold Coast City Council: Planning & Development Online Gold Coast City Council - Tourism Gold Coast City Council – Water restrictions Gold Coast City Council – Saving water Gold Coast City Council – Building & development Gold Coast City Council - Planning, Building & Environment
Extract from the Wikipedia Entry on the Gold Coast City Council
The Gold Coast City Council (or GCCC) is the local authority for the Gold Coast, Queensland, and surrounding areas and is the second largest local government in Australia based on the City’s resident population. It has a staff of over 2,500.
By the late 1870s, the Government of Queensland had become preoccupied with the idea of getting local residents to pay through rates for local services, which had become a massive cost to the colony and were undermaintained in many areas. The McIlwraith government initiated the Divisional Boards Act 1879 which created a system of elected divisional boards covering most of Queensland. It was assented by the Governor on 2 October 1879, and on 11 November 1879, the Governor gazetted a list of 74 divisions which would come into existence. Four of these—Nerang, Coomera, Beenleigh and Waterford—were in the Gold Coast region. Southport was developed as both an administrative centre as well as a holiday destination with hotels and guesthouses to cater for visitors. Town dwellers had different needs to the rural landholders so Southport ratepayers lobbied the colonial government to create a separate Divisional Board so that rates monies raised by Southport landholders could be spent on town improvements. This resulted in the Southport Divisional Board on 14 July 1883.
On 31 March 1903, following the enactment of the Local Authorities Act 1902, the divisions became shires. On 12 June 1914, the Town of Coolangatta was created from part of the Shire of Nerang, and on 12 April 1918, Southport became a Town. On 9 December 1948, as part of a major reorganisation of local government in South East Queensland, an Order in Council renamed Southport to “Town of the South Coast” and amalgamated Coolangatta and coastal sections of the Shire of Nerang into the town’s area, creating a narrow coastal strip. The same Order abolished all of the earlier Shires and amalgamated most of their area into the new Shire of Albert, with the rest becoming part of the Shire of Beaudesert. The Order came into effect on 10 June 1949, when the first elections were held for the new councils.
On 23 October 1958, the South Coast Town Council adopted the name of Gold Coast Town Council, and on 16 May 1959, the Town was proclaimed as a City by the Governor, having met the requirements for city status. Most of what is now regarded as the Gold Coast urban area was located within the Shire of Albert, which had its administrative offices in Nerang-Southport Road, Nerang.